home of clan [tv]

You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-19 01:32:37

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

[renamed] The Political Compass Poll

The political Compass

A 2 dimensional political survey which plots your political position. Take the poll and post your score.

http://sig.gamerdna.com/gamerdna-card-500-150/PopsSanford.png

#2 2003-11-19 02:37:33

[tv] Sgt. Carter
Cast Member
Website

Re: [renamed] The Political Compass Poll

My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.62
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31

http://www.satanscafe.com/images2/carter.jpg
twitter- _king_phil

#3 2003-11-19 11:06:58

Detroiter

Ha Economic left , right 1.12. Libertarion 0.51. Those questions {spme of them where a bit shaky at best though. How about adding a who cares place to click in there for a few. I was closest to raegan democrat. Meaning not so liberal democrat. The good ole democrats not the new ones.LOL i see they failed to put where the left wing democrat stands i am betting closer to communist than some might imagine. What do i know though.

[img][/img]

cheaters and mod hackers suck...!!!!!!!

#4 2003-11-19 11:15:33

[tv] Sgt. Carter
Cast Member
Website

good point Tool

right 2.62
authoritarian .031

twitter- _king_phil

#5 2003-11-19 16:20:00

22nd Elite Shershe
Website

Okay I did that political thing..

My Left/Right was 0.0
My Libertarian/Authoritarian was -1.18

So what would that mean exactly?

why is my left/right 0 when everyone elses has #'s?

I am feeling like a ditzy blonde.. ya know.. airhead.. not understanding this???

#6 2003-11-19 16:55:21

[tv] Sgt. Carter
Cast Member
Website

ur left right was 0 meaning ur in the middle ur a moderate accoring to that and -1.18 means ur a little more libertarian than authoratarian but basically in the middle there too.

this all means we would be horrible dictators!

twitter- _king_phil

#7 2003-11-19 18:52:18

[tv] Foghorn Leghorn
Cast Member

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

Uh oh.  I was closest to Ghandi and far from the rest of you.  Not what I expected though.  Interesting.

http://www.land-o-tv.com/images/fogbanner.jpg

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/2/tvfoghorn.png

#8 2003-11-19 19:57:54

[tv] Bender

I scared myself icon_confused

#9 2003-11-19 20:59:09

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

Wow, me and Gandhi too, who would have thought. Considering that, I kinda feel like the test is just a little biased to the left. I didn’t want to say that before others took it tho. Couple of things. I think the lack of a "who gives a shit" choice is their way of forcing you to consider issues that you've never really thought about and make you take a stance. It brings out some of the political leanings you may not know you have.

Anyway, my point in posting this was to show that people tend to be much more moderate than they generally realize (in this case falling close to the lines) when you actually separate the issues from the party spin. Of course that raises the question of why we have to vote for radicals to represent us. Secondly, if you look at the results for some of the politicians scored, you will see that many Americans have a distorted view of what "left" is. Look at the placement of our candidates for the next presidential election. Kind of looks like a moderate right-winger would be better suited voting democrat icon_wink lol.

Another interesting thing about this poll is that it gives you a visual reference of the political spectrum that makes you think more about different schools of political thought. Take Hitler and Stalin for example. Someone only considering the left/right issue might wonder how those 2 guys could end up such similarly brutal dictators. Add in the libertarian/authoritative scale and it becomes very clear. Which brings me to my next point. A lot of Americans have a very distorted view of communism and fascism. Probably because of all the “fight the evil Commie dictator” propaganda we’ve been feed since the end of WW2, in which we waged war against “an evil Fascist dictator” (make up our minds please!). Anyway, at some point what started out as the US fighting overly authoritative governments has morphed into right/left thing with little concern over whether or not our leaders had authoritative leanings.

Anyway, it’s just a poll and subjective just like anything else. But I think it does do a good job of making people aware of where they stand on issues rather than party platforms. It seems like we often identify ourselves with a party based on just one or two issues. I think that is dangerous because when we do that we end up accepting the rest of the agenda that comes along with a political party even tho we may not agree with it.

#10 2003-11-19 21:23:17

[tv] UNDERDOG
Cast Member

ok it looks like me and gandhi think alike my scores are -5.12 and -1.95

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q170/tvunderdog/underdog.jpghttp://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q170/tvunderdog/Homerdrunk.jpg

#11 2003-11-19 21:43:26

[tv] T-Bone
Cast Member

Hmm... -2.12  -0.77

[tv] T-Bone

#12 2003-11-19 21:59:01

[tv] Sgt. Carter
Cast Member
Website

this is pretty good fun Fred thx for the test. but it looks like I must be a member of the vast Right Wing Conspiracy or the founder of it. LOL :lol:

twitter- _king_phil

#13 2003-11-20 00:46:21

MysteryMan

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82

I'm almost like a Ghandi Communist LOL.

#14 2003-11-20 04:54:50

Monte_Cristo

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51

The closest I came to was Pope John Paul II.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Cmdr.Bond/brizzosig.jpg

#15 2003-11-20 09:11:52

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

I'm almost like a Ghandi Communist LOL.

Ahhh... another recruit for the Revolution! lol

Anyway, yet another two people who are pretty moderate in the Authoritarian / Libertarian realm tho. Very interesting! Most of the political debate around here has generally centered around Libertarian issues (government has too much power/government needs more power) but people are scoring pretty close to the center on those issues with this poll.

#16 2003-11-20 12:29:51

MysteryMan

Fred G. Sanford"]

Ahhh... another recruit for the Revolution! lol

*Russian Voice* Come comrade the time to strike is now LOL.

#17 2003-11-20 13:19:35

Osborn F. Enready

Fred, you said most of the discussions as of late have been libertarian issues, yet this poll is showing so much different as of where we stand. Well, I will take the test in a second, and allow me to remind everyone, that this is according to THIS test. Like I often point out in my arguments against federally funded drug testing "surveys" it is easy to come out with a common answer if you can seed all the questions according to the answer you WANT to find. Kudos to Fred for the idea of the test, but I'll put about as much faith in it as I do my Federally Funded "Independent" Studies.

So lets see how they classify me, im off to take the test. BRB

Osborn F. Enready

" A man who would trade a measure of liberty, for a measure of security, DESERVES NEITHER."

http://www.freestateproject.org
http://www.badnarik.org/

#18 2003-11-20 13:42:05

Osborn F. Enready

Hello Komrades, nasdrovya.  Well, I normally shoot lower left on these types of tests, and this one shows me a little more left than lower... lol
Anyway, I am Economic Left/Right -7.00, and Liber./Auth. -1.28.  I guess this might show my lack of compassion for "Political Corectness".  :lol:

Thanks for the chance to participate Fred. Where did you get the test anyway if I might ask?

" Individual rights are especially important if you're the individual."

Osborn F. Enready

" A man who would trade a measure of liberty, for a measure of security, DESERVES NEITHER."

http://www.freestateproject.org
http://www.badnarik.org/

#19 2003-11-20 16:47:59

Milton Bradley

I find myself wondering if people were answering because tehy thought the statement was true, or becuase they agree with the philosophy of the statement.

I found myself compelled to disagree with statement that may be fudamentally true because I could not agree with the philosophy.

For example,

A one party system is more eficient at decision making becuase there is no delay in the political process. I would have to agreee that that is likely true, but I had to disagree because (a) I don't know that to be true ( I'm not educated enough), and (b) I stongly disagree with the basic philosophy of the statement.

So, in the end what are we left with? 

How did YOU answer the questions that forced a stance you could not really defend?

By the way, my score was Economic -5.25, and Liberal/Athorotarian -3.90.

How can we have a Constitutionally Limited Republic without the constitutional limitations?

Restore the Constitution, vote Libertarian for once in your miserable life.

#20 2003-11-20 16:54:04

Milton Bradley

I just called mysef a Liberal when I meant to say Libertarian.

That may be grounds for sepuku. That is ritual disemboweling from the Japanese culture. What an unforgivable mistake I have commited.

The ultimate typo.

I hope I can forgive me.

I don't know, I'm pretty mad...

How can we have a Constitutionally Limited Republic without the constitutional limitations?

#21 2003-11-20 21:40:17

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

yeah, some of them were pretty tricky. The question was actually:

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

I had to re-read that one a few times myself. But I took the question to basically be a half empty/half full type question. Do you see the democratic political system as a system of debate that ultimately is good. Or, do you view the democratic system as flawed and ineffective. Thus, is the one-party state's lack of debate a significant advantage. Which is more valuable to you. Is it better to have a slow and involved debate that might not reach a conclusion, or to just have somebody else decide and move on to the next issue. I voted "Strongly Disagree" because I don't see "efficiency and the cost of free debate", as an "advantage".

Oz, I don't think people here really stand that far apart on issues of liberty. Most of us are in the +/- 2 or so range. That's still pretty close to center, if you ask me. Again, this test is all about separating issues of liberty from social-economic issues, something that is rarely done in American politics. I think that's what's so interesting about this test. Now on social and economic issues people here are definitely more spread out. Personally, I didn't think I would be as far towards the communist side as I am. But when I think about it I can identify the exact questions that prolly put me there.

The important question that should come out of this is whether you are putting yourself into a political category for the wrong reasons. I think a lot of Americans pick a political party based on one or two issues and then stick to that party no matter what. We need the ability to deal with the issues themselves like in this test, that's something that we seldom get with the way issues are presented by politicians and the media. I also think that the amount of surprise that everybody has over where they placed is a very telling signal that we may not understand what some of these political ideologies really mean. We hear "communist" all the time, but it is actually something very different from what we commonly think of it as.

I first saw this test on another forum that I belong to that has a pretty big international membership. I think this test might have actually been originated to tackle international political issues because it has a much broader scope to it than American politics. For example all of our upcoming presidential candidates except like 2 fall on the right side of this scale. Even tho we see the democrats as left of the republicans, they actually are not as polarized as we perceive them.

#22 2003-11-20 22:47:27

BlindOne

Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.13

I fell asleep during History class, anyone mind explaining me what an Authoritarian is?  What about Libertarian, and the left right thing

#23 2003-11-21 00:02:44

[tv] Ralph Kramden
Cast Member

Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Libertarian/Authoritarian=1.69
Heck not sure what it means but it was interesting thanks fred

http://www.atglenfire.com/ps_image/ralph.jpg

#24 2003-11-21 01:26:06

Milton Bradley

The reasons I find myself so adamant in my dislike for liberal politics is in "the rest of the package". In earlier years I would have been a Democrat, because I am a working class stiff, and a believer in unions, and a fair minimum wage. The new Democrats have let thier minority constituancy dictate too much of thier policy and philosophy.

If you analize political correctness, a policy of the Democats, its basic premise is that the majority should suffer for the good of the minority, which as I understand it, is the exact opposite of the definition of a democracy. The exact opposite of the philosophy this nation was built on. How can that be good for this country?

I am also against the redistibution of Americas wealth to known adversaries who don't hide the fact that they wish us harm.

When Bill Clinton and band of merry traitors were negotiating Most Favored Nation trading status for China, a known enemy, China had been repeatedly caught manipulating currency, and counterfieting U.S. currency.

What possible explanation could there be for funneling money to known hostile country gearing up for confrontation?

These are some of the policies that make me want to vote to the right, to prevent these blunders from becoming laws. Right is the lesser evil in my opinion, but nowhere near where I would vote if my views were truly represented by third, or fourth party.

#25 2004-03-12 14:26:51

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -9.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

Further to the left and to the bottom... exactly what I expected

Now.. what I said that got me that score.

PAGE 1
If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations. Strongly agree

I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong. Disagree

No one chooses their country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it. Agree

Our race has many superior qualities, compared to other races. Strongly disagree

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Agree

Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified. Disagree

The growing fusion between information and entertainment is a worrying contribution to the public's shrinking attention span. Strongly agree

PAGE 2
People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality. Strongly agree

Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment. Strongly disagree

Corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily respect the environment. Strongly agree

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need is a fundamentally good idea. Strongly agree

It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product. Strongly agree

Land shouldn't be a commodity to be bought and sold. Strongly agree

Many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society. Strongly agree

Protectionism is sometimes necessary in trade. Agree

The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders. Strongly disagree

The rich are too highly taxed. Disagree

Those with the ability to pay should have the right to higher standards of medical care. Strongly disagree

Governments should penalise businesses that mislead the public. Strongly agree

The freer the market, the freer the people. Disagree

PAGE 3
Abortion, when the woman's life is not threatened, should always be illegal. Disagree

All authority must be questioned. Strongly agree

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Agree

Taxpayers should not be expected to prop up any theatres or museums that cannot survive on a commercial basis. Strongly disagree

Schools should not make classroom attendance compulsory. Agree

Everyone has their rights, but it is better for all of us that different sorts of people should keep to their own kind. Disagree

Good parents sometimes have to spank their children, to teach them right from wrong. Agree

It's natural for children to keep some secrets from their parents. Agree

Marijuana should be legalised. Agree

The prime function of schooling is to equip the future generation to find jobs. Strongly disagree

People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce. Disagree

The most important thing for children to learn is to accept discipline. Strongly disagree

There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures. Agree

Those who are able to work, and refuse the opportunity, should not expect society's support. Agree

When you are troubled, it's better not to think about it, but to keep busy with more cheerful things. Agree

First-generation immigrants can never be fully integrated within their new country. Strongly disagree

What's good for the most successful corporations is always, ultimately, good for all of us. Strongly disagree

No broadcasting institution, however independent its content, should receive public funding. Strongly disagree

PAGE 4
Our civil liberties are being excessively curbed in the name of counter-terrorism. Strongly agree

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system. Strongly disagree

Although the electronic age makes official surveillance easier, only wrongdoers need to be worried. Strongly disagree

The death penalty should be an option for the most serious crimes. Strongly agree

In a civilised society, one must always have people above to be obeyed and people below to be commanded. Strongly disagree

Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all. Strongly disagree

In criminal justice, punishment should be more important than rehabilitation. Disagree

It is a waste of time to try to rehabilitate some criminals. Agree

The businessman and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist. Strongly disagree

Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers. Agree

Multinational companies are unethically exploiting the plant genetic resources of developing countries. Strongly agree

Making peace with the establishment is an important aspect of maturity. Strongly disagree

PAGE 5
Astrology accurately explains many things. Agree

Religion and morality are closely linked. Agree

Charity is better than social security as a means of helping the genuinely disadvantaged. Strongly disagree

Some people are naturally unlucky. Disagree

Faith-based schools have a positive role to play in our education system. Agree

PAGE 6
Sex outside of marriage is usually immoral. Strongly disagree

A same sex couple in a stable, loving relationship, should not be excluded from the possibility of child adoption. Strongly agree

Pornography, depicting consenting adults, should be legal for the adult population. Strongly agree

What goes on in a private bedroom between consenting adults is no business of the state. Strongly agree

No one can feel naturally homosexual. Strongly disagree

It's fine for society to be open about sex, but these days it's going too far. Agree

Board footer