home of clan [tv]

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-21 13:41:48

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

Activision/IW Responds...

This was just released from Activision PR

Santa Monica, CA – Dec. 21, 2005 – Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) and Infinity Ward today announced plans to release new multiplayer maps as part of a Call of Duty® 2 Windows® PC update that will also include PunkBuster™ anti-cheat software and additional support enhancements. The download is currently scheduled for release in early 2006 and will be available at www.callofduty.com

“Our team at Infinity Ward is committed to supporting Call of Duty fans,” said Grant Collier, president, Infinity Ward. “We’ve worked hard to deliver the most epic and immersive experience ever with Call of Duty 2 and look forward to delivering new content such as multiplayer maps, tools and anti-cheat software that will further enhance the gameplay experience.”

Looks to me like the worlds first gamer strike just might have been a success!?

The question is, will Activision/IW honor this press release, or will it slip into the vapor the way some of their other recent promises have. Only time will tell.

http://sig.gamerdna.com/gamerdna-card-500-150/PopsSanford.png

#2 2005-12-21 14:08:14

[tv] Sgt. Carter
Cast Member
Website

Re: Activision/IW Responds...

couldnt they have been planning on releasing this even well before a strike was called? but it is good news if true.

http://www.satanscafe.com/images2/carter.jpg
twitter- _king_phil

#3 2005-12-21 14:48:50

[tv] Jay Jay Walker
Cast Member

SWEET

#4 2005-12-21 15:36:19

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

Sure... who will ever know but people inside Activision/IW. But at any rate, it is a response.

And they timed it out in a manner that makes it look like they care about supporting the community without admitting that the community is dissatisfied. That's what PR departments do.

The hard fact of the situation is... that by the time frame promised in the press release, their support for CoD2 is verifiably less than it was for CoD and CoD:UO. Neither of those games went 3 or 4 months before their first patch. But it looks like CoD2 will.

#5 2005-12-21 21:21:43

[tv] Maxwell Smart
Cast Member

How long did it take IW to get IW's GFM released after UO?  That was a tremendously great "upgrade" that usually masquerades as an expansion pack with other companies that you pay for in other games.  ...and it was free!

I'm not actively defending Activision/InfinityWard for their negligence in openly supporting the PC community of gamers, but taking a realistic view of aftermarket product "support."  It takes a little time to address problems and expectations demanded by those in the PC world.  However, their lack of foresight expecting a cheat-free game upon release definitely needs to be questioned.  I think a record was set for high quality cheats showing up within 48 hours of game release.

PC gamers are the cutting edge of gaming!  Console pussies are relegated to back burner support because they need no support, have inferior graphics, inferior playability, lack of accessability to improved software upgrades, and are a captive audience.  They are cheap to support, but do not force game developer to react to dynamic online gaming environments.  It is cheaper, and less challenging, to support consoles than PC's.  The accountants win this round, unfortunately.

The server blackout to protest Activision/InfinityWard's indifference to PC gamers' concerns sent a wake-up call to the company.  Either support the PC gaming world because game improvements only come from dynamic, real-world gaming environmments, or suffer the fate of "Pong."  They may have already had something in the works, as I suspect, prior to the strike, but this definitely sent a much-needed message to game developers.  Listen to the PC world.  Consoles may bring revenue, but they do not force cutting edge improvements.  Don't get fat and sassy!

Just my three dollars and fifty-two cents.icon_wink

http://www.satanscafe.com/images2/max.gif
What are you talking about, 99?  We have to shoot and kill and destroy.  We represent everything that's wholesome and good in the world.

#6 2005-12-21 23:07:58

[tv] Fred G. Sanford
Administrator
Website

two things

First... GFM, was not an official Activision/IW product. That was a community produced mod. I agree, it was the best improvements produced for the game. And the thing is, it didn’t cost Activision/IW a single dime, or one minute of development time. As is stands today with CoD2, the community has ZERO ability to do the same thing. The tools needed to create such total modification have not been released, hell they can’t even make custom maps. Which is something available in probably 90% of FPS games going back 4 or 5 years. This becomes even more of a slap in the face when Activision reps then make statements to the affect that "the modding community isn't there for this game". Like it's the community that is failing this game, not the producers. People want CoD2 to be a great game... and many modders in the community are very willing to employ their abilities to add in features free of charge.

What we are talking about here as far as patches goes... is fixing legitimate bugs in the game. For instances some thing known as maxgamestate, which you may have seen cause error messages, but it can actually cause people to be kicked from the server and even server crashes when it's limits are exceeded. It was an issue in CoD, fixed in a patch. The principles of this patch were incorporated into CoD:UO so it was not an issue there... and here it is back again in CoD2. It makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever. It's not an issue of they need time to address these bugs... when it's the same bug that has already been fixed, dating back two years to when CoD hit the shelves in Oct 2003!! So as far as the cost to support these games... fix the bugs, write the game in such a manner as to make it relatively modder friendly, and you're done. The modding community will take care of keeping the game fresh for you by creating the new features that the community desires, Then you as Activision/IW being the rights holder, steal those popular community developed features and put them into your next title and cash in, not on a fictitious reputation and phony hype... but by giving players a quality game.

Second... on the subject of the strike and the idea of sending a "wake up call". A lot of people, and I'm not saying you here Maxy, are saying things like it's childish, or we still don't have a patch so what did it accomplish, that it was a waste of time to make such a pointless fuss. That the money had already been made, no reason to expect them to care now. Well my understanding of "free market" dynamics (as critical as my viewpoint thereof is) is that the CUSTOMERS determine what products they want by developing a DEMAND, and then some enterprising producer then provides a product that meets that demand. It seems to me that what is truly pointless in the situation is not to voice our dissatisfaction with this game (especially in an extremely audible form)... because that just collectively lowers the standard of the games being developed. Don't ask for much and you wont be disappointed should not be the guiding principle for these game producers. People needed to say something, and it needed to be done in a manner that allowed it to break free of Activision/IW controlled communication channels. It's very much about defining what our demands as consumers are for a game. And letting the producers know what we want a game to be, it’s their job to then produce it or find a new business to be in. The gaming industry used to be by gamers, for gamers. If it’s going to be co-opted by a bunch of game factory corporations… we need to speak up as consumers and define the product that we want produced. Saying there is no money to be made in giving gamers what they want is contrary to the ideas of supply and demand. We’re demanding it… who’s gonna supply it??

Sorry, I’m ranting again…

#7 2005-12-22 16:01:35

[tv] UNDERDOG
Cast Member

well put fred and as to did they plan to release this before the strike why did they not adress it then by comunicating  it on the iw forums.i belive this came about because they did not think the strike would have a good turn out like it did so now they have egg on the face

Last edited by [tv] UNDERDOG (2005-12-22 16:03:42)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q170/tvunderdog/underdog.jpghttp://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q170/tvunderdog/Homerdrunk.jpg

Board footer